Sharon CT | Dooley Real Estate
Towns | Places to Stay | Recreation | Arts

   
 


Town: Sharon, CT
Population:
3,052
Area:
59.6 square miles
Elementary School:
Sharon Center
High School: Housatonic Valley Regional

dooley real estate sharon ct
Rolling Farm in Sharon

First-time visitors to Sharon are most often struck by the beauty of its tree-lined village green and the row of stately, mostly historic, homes which extend south from the green itself, past the brick and stone clock tower, to the fairways of the Sharon Country Club and the rolling farm fields and broad vistas of the Oblong Valley.

Incorporated in 1739, Sharon, along with its sister towns in Northwest Connecticut were first farm and iron producing centers. Its name is taken from the Plain of Sharon in the Bible which must have been suggested to the first settlers by the topography that slopes to the west from the Housatonic River Highlands toward the broad, fertile farmlands reaching toward the Ten Mile River in nearby Dutchess County, New York.

Sharon’s early history extends back to before its incorporation to Native American settlements that existed on the west bank of Indian Pond and above Mudge Pond. Moravian missionaries had made contact with these original inhabitants (as they did in nearby Kent and eastern New York) seeking to convert these peoples to Christianity. Whether or not as a result of their conversion, the Sharon Indians deeded their property rights to the new settlers, finally relinquishing all claims in 1855.

Like many of the other towns in the region, Sharon prospered as an agricultural and iron producing economy until the Civil War era. In the 1800’s Sharon Valley was a center of industry, manufacturing a variety of household and farm implements from the local iron. It was there that the Jewell Manufacturing Company produced the Boswick mousetrap which led to its nickname as the “Mousetrap Capital of the World”. It was also during this age of iron that Benjamin Hotchkiss, the inventor of the Hotchkiss machine gun, operated his factory in Sharon and became, through the generosity of his widow, a significant benefactor of the town and the region (The Hotchkiss Memorial Library and The Hotchkiss School).

Since the early 20th century, Sharon has been home to part-time residents who built substantial summer homes. This infusion of prosperous, educated outsiders has richened the local demographic and contributed to the establishment of the regions first hospital and the Sharon Audubon Center and Miles Sanctuary as well as the newly established but very active Sharon Land Trust. The theatrical arts have long prospered in Sharon, beginning with the Sharon Playhouse whose original barn theater is now home to the Tri Arts Theater productions. Sharon is well worth the visit if you love 18th and 19th century architecture, broad rural vistas and the sense of slipping gently into an earlier time.


Town Links:

--Official Town Site
--Historical Society


Back to Towns