Lakeville & Salisbury CT | Dooley Real Estate
Towns | Places to Stay | Recreation | Arts

   
 


Town: Salisbury, CT
Population:
4,083
Area:
60.1 square miles
Elementary School:
Salisbury Central
High School: Housatonic Valley Regional
Private Schools: Hotchkiss School, Indian Mountain School, Salisbury School

dooley real estate lakeville salisbury ct
Lakeville's Town Grove

Tucked into the northwest corner of Connecticut, Salisbury, the largest town in the region, was originally known as Weatogue and was first settled around 1720 by Dutch families from New York. It was incorporated and named Salisbury (for the cathedral town in English Wiltshire) in 1741. Within its borders are several distinct villages: Lakeville, Lime Rock, Amesville, and Taconic. The village of Salisbury, located at the crossroads of Routes 44 and 41 is graced by the famous and venerable White Hart Inn and the imposing Town Hall which was rebuilt to incorporate its original features following its substantial destruction by home-grown arsonists several years ago. The village center is a vibrant retail area with a number of small specialty shops, inns, and offices. Salisbury is home to three well-known and well-regarded private schools (Hotchkiss, Salisbury and Indian Mountain) and one of the oldest ski jump competitions in the country held annually in February. Northeast of the village are the Twin Lakes (Washinee and Washining) which are surrounded by graceful turn-of-the-century Victorian summer cottages and are active water sport destinations.

South of the Village on Route 112 is the hamlet of Lime Rock (so-named for the mining operations that contributed to the establishment of the iron industry that flourished into the mid-nineteenth century) and perhaps now best known for Lime Rock Park, an auto racing road course started by sports car racing enthusiasts in the 1950’s and host to some of the most famous road races ever held. Legends like Mark Donohue, Roger Ward, Peter Revson and Sam Posey, as well as celebrities like Paul Newman and Walter Cronkite have tested their nerve and skills on the challenging 1.53-mile circuit with its fast corners and elevation changes. The Skip Barber Racing School makes its home at the track which also hosts Sports Car Club of America racing almost every weekend throughout the summer.

Lakeville was originally called Furnace Village for the iron forges that flourished there. An early forge was purchased and remodeled into a blast furnace in 1768 by investors who included Ethan Allen, leader of the Green Mountain Boys during the Revolutionary War. Legend has it that the frigate USS Constitution’s anchors were cast at this furnace. The forging and casting of iron evolved into the manufacture of machine tools and pocket knives. The handsome brick headquarters of these firms have been preserved and are now home to new businesses and a restaurant.

Perhaps the most useful thing a reader interested in Lakeville can learn is how to pronounce the name of the lake from which Lakeville takes its name and which provides the village with its most important recreational resource. The lake, named Wononscopomuc, is pronounced Wa•non’•ska•pa’•muk. Being able to pronounce it easily qualifies one as, if not a native, at least a knowledgeable visitor.


Town Links:

--Official Town Site



Back to Towns